Year Event
853 Shinjo acquired the land for the temple from Fujiwara Sekio in Oct.
863 The Emperor Seiwa gave the name "Zenrin-ji" to the temple.
868 Shinjo wrote 15 articles of "Zenrin-ji shiki".
873 Shinjo passed away (age 77).
877 Zenrin-ji designated "chokugan-ji", a special temple establishedby an emperor's pray
1033 Yokan was born.
1072 Yokan left Todai-ji and built "Tonanin" in the precincts of Zenrin-ji.
1082 Yokan got the flush of inspiration of Mikaeri Amida (Amitabha, lookingback) during Nembutu Walk.
1097 Yokan built a hospital "Yakuouin" in the temple.
1111 Yokan passed away (age 79).
1133 Honen, the founder of Jodo-shu, was born.
1177 Seizan(Shoku), the founder of the sect, was born.
1190 Seizan became a diciple of Honen.
1198 The Shougun of Kamakura, Minamoto Yoritomo visited the temple and contributed "Daihannyakyo Sutra".
Honen wrote the book "Senchaku Hongan Nembutsu-shu".
1212 Honen passed away (age 80).
1235 Amida-do (the temple for the Amida) was built.
1264 The ex-emperor Gosagain built a detached palace "Zenrinji-den" in the southern part of the temple's precinct.
1291 The ex-emperor Kameyama converted the imperial villa "Zenrinji-den" to a temple, "Nanzen-ji".
1447 "Yuzu Nenbutsu kanjincho" was made.
1463 "Yuzu Nenbutsu engi" was made
The War of Onin was occured. The temple suffered from the war and was almost destroyed.
1472 From 1472 to 1497, the temple was rebuild. The Emperor Gotsuchimikado built Miei-do and the Emperor Gokashiwabara built Shaka-do and other buildings.
1504 Garyuro (The laying dragon passage) was built.
1557 Kentei invited Rinken and made him draw a paint "Kentei mandala".
1560 The Emperor ordered the temple to establish a school, "Kangakuin".
1596 The bell was casted and the bell house was built.
1600 The main temple building (Miei-do) was built.
1607 Kawamura Kyumokusai donated the paint "Kenpo mandala".
The temple ”Amida-do” was brough over from Naniwa (Osaka) to Zenrin-ji.
1744 The Center Gate (Chumon) was built.
1752 The book "Zenrin-ji Seisen Rekidai-ki” was written.
1754 The bell house was rebuilt.
1764 The temple ”Sobyo-do” was rebuilt.
1811 Chokushi-mon (The gate for Emperor's Messenger) was rebuilt.
1840 The Main Gate (Somon) was rebuilt.
1876 Seizan sect was separated into 4 sects, The head temples were Zenrin-ji, Komyo-ji, Seigan-ji and Enpuku-ji.
1885 The Meiji Government authorized Jodo-shu Seizan sect in June.
1895 The temple "Zuishi-den" was rebuilt. Sobyo-do building was extended.
1908 Zenrin Woman Association was organized. There were 27 branch offices in Japan and 15,000 members were registered.
1912 Miei-do building was completed.
1919 Seizan Zenrin-ji sect was separated from Seizan sect.
1921 A research group of Seizan tenet was formed.
1928 Tahoto pagoda was built.
1930 The government permitted the setup of Eikando kindergarten.
1932 Daihannyakyo Sutra was newly made, and a first reading ceremony was held on a day of 6 Amida blessing in July.
1937 Memorial service of the 1050th anniversary of Shinjo, Souei and Sinnyo was held in April. Memorial service of the 900 anniversary of the 5th head, Sinkaku was also held in April.
1945 Memorial service of the 700th anniversary of the founder of the sect, Shoku was held.
1961 Memorial service of the 750th anniversary of the founder of the school, Honen was held.
1970 Eikando hall was completed in March. Memorial service of the 750 anniversary of Seikoku-Johon was held in May.
1974 Memorial service was held for commemoration of the 800th anniversary of Jodo-shu establishment.
1976 Memorial service of the 800th anniversary of Shoku's birthday in November.
1998 The wall painting "Jodo Henso-zu" was completed in Gasen-do by Sekiguchi Yuki.
2001 The Main Gate was rebuilt in April.
2007 Restoration of Amidado temple completed.
2010 Restoration of Amidado paintings completed.
2011 Restoration of Kohojo room completed.
Memorial service of the 800th anniversary of Honen in April.
2024 New Eikando Hall completed in February.
Memorial service of the 850th anniversary of Jodo-shu establishment.